Thursday, July 3, 2014

Exactly one year ago today...I started writin' on this blog

Exactly one year ago today...I started writin' on this blog.

Happy ONE YEAR Blogiversary to me.
Are you singin'?
Should I blow out some candles?
Do I need to make a wish?

One year ago...I had no idea what I was gettin' myself into.
I didn't know that I would make friends with people around the world.
I didn't know that I would grow tremendously as a teacher.
I didn't know that I would learn so much.
I didn't know that my brain would be non-stop thinkin'.
I didn't know people would actually read what I wrote.
I didn't know that I was funny...okay well maybe that's an 
exaggeration...I've always known I was funny.
Yes, I'm braggin'...

I'm goin' to link up with Angela from The Teacher's Desk 6 for
Throwback Thursday, Nick from
Sweet Rhyme-Pure Reason for Back to the Archive and
The Teaching Tribune for Throwback Thursday.
 

Anyways...I'm goin' to throw it back to my very first post...
You can read it here.

Readin' that first post was bittersweet for me...
as I typed that, I was sittin' in my Nitty's livin' room
and now as I type this...I am sittin' in my parents livin'
room after returnin' from her memorial dinner.
It was beautiful...pictures to come on Saturday.
Oh...how much my life has changed in one year.
At the end of the day...I'm truly blessed and I'm thankful.
150 posts later(Yes...it's 150 today too!)
Again....150 posts later,
I know Nitty would be proud of me.
I'm proud of me.

Y'all know how much I love linky parties.
That's my jam.
So...I thought it only appropriate that I do
some reflectin' and think about some
tips and tricks that I wish I I would've known
on my first day of bloggin'.
I'm linkin' up with Teaching Trio
for Technology Thursday since bloggin' is technology.

I'd like to say THANK YOU to
Jessica at Ideas by Jivey for her Techy Tips and
Megan from I Teach. What's Your Superpower? for her
Blog, Baby, Blog series.
These posts have been the best help with Technology
and hopefully, their suggestions will have the same impact on you.
If you don't follow them...you should.

I'm nowhere as tech savvy as these two ladies, but I do have
a couple of tips that might be worth your while.

Even if it takes you a week...reply.
There's a reason you're bloggin'...you've got somethin' to say.
Am I right?
You want to be heard.
You want someone to read what you have written.
If you don't reply...you aren't makin' connections and
basically...you are tellin' the person that took their precious
time to read your blog and comment...
that they aren't important enough for you to take your time
to read what they have written and reply.
That's rude.
Don't be rude.
Be courteous.
Reply.
Most bloggers like to reply via email.
If you reply to someone's comment on your own blog...
not through email, but on your actual blog,
there's a chance people are not goin' to come back to your
blog to see your comment.
That's just the way it goes.
Which leads into the next tip...

This is a tricky one.
Some of you probably have no idea that you are even
considered a no-reply blogger and that's okay, but
now's the time to fix that.
Read here and here.
It will make more sense.

Want to know the fastest way to lose followers?
Only postin' about items you have in your store.
It's true.
If I follow a blog that ONLY writes about their products
on TpT, TN, or Educents....BOOM....I'm clickin'
UNFOLLOW.
Sorry...I'm not sorry.

This is the one that just about sends me over the edge.
I read a lot of blogs and I like to reply to what I'm readin'.
See above.
It takes me twice as long to go through blogs when I'm
sittin' fightin' with my keyboard over whether or not
I've typed the capthca phrase, word verification, no robot thing...
whatever it is...appropriately.
Sometimes it's itty-bitty numbers that I can barely see
and other times it's make-believe words with squiggly letters.
I gave up tryin' to reply on my phone or ipad.
Please for my sanity, fix this.
This will help you here.
I bet by followin' the instructions you will
be helpin' to lower many peoples' blood pressure.
Consider it a Random Act of Kindness.

Everyone that I have ever come into contact with in the bloggy world
is super helpful.  Don't be afraid to ask for help if you don't know somethin'.
Need help?  I'm here for you, buddy.
Here's my email: butterflialisun@gmail.com
I don't know everything and I won't ever pretend to, BUT...
I can guarantee if you ask me a question and I don't know the answer,
I will do everything in my power to find someone who does.
I have some super smart bloggy friends.

I hope that some of these Tips & Tricks are helpful to you.
I'm seriously glad I was able to reflect...one year later.
With that bein' said...
I'm goin' to also link up with my sweet friend
Jennifer from Mrs. Laffin's Laughings for
Positive Thinking Thursday.

Source

Happy Thursday, friends!
Make sure if you eat a piece of cake to celebrate
my blogiversary...that you eat a bite or two for me too!

39 comments :

  1. Great blogging tips! I totally agree about returning the love to fellow bloggers - it's so personal, and meaningful.

    Thanks for the tips :)

    Rae
    Mindful Rambles

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congratulations!! And thanks for the tips--I haven't entered the blogging world yet, but I'm thinking about it. : )

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Lori! I hope you do join. You will love it. I have learned SO much in the past year. I am truly grateful for havin' such smart bloggin' friends. They know way more than any training I might sit through.

      Delete
  3. Thanks so much for this post:) I am learning so much about blogging!

    Stephanie
    Technology Timeout

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great tips! Where were you when I started out? By the way, I love those captcha thingies. It is so fun to finally figure out what the letters are. It's like being a private detective. My favorites are the numbers that are only half showing! Off to read your first blog post.....
    Carol
    Teachers Are Terrific!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Happy Birthday! I don't have cake on hand but will a bite of Blueberry Peach Pie count? I always appreciate your comments when I blog...I know your Nitty is smiling down on you! Cheers!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Blueberry Peach pie? That sounds so yummy, Debbie! I want some for sure!

      Delete
  6. Congratulations!! You seem like a pro to me, since you've helped me out so much! These tips gave me even more to work on. Keep on Rockin'!! :)

    Steph
    Simple Insights

    ReplyDelete
  7. A-to the-MEN! Happy Blogiversary to you!!!! And thanks for the shout-outs! You totally ROCK. As if you didn't know.
    Jivey
    ideas by jivey

    ReplyDelete
  8. I remember the beginning. You are such an inspiration!! Keep doing what you're doing. I'm sure Nitty is very proud of you. xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wow, you have accomplished so much in just one year Alison! Thanks for all of the tips. I still feel like I am a beginning blogger...probably because I haven't been as active as I should. Enjoy your holiday weekend!
    The Traveling Teacher

    ReplyDelete
  10. Happy Blogiversary! Okay.. I will admit that I have that verification thing ON because without it, I got SO MUCH SPAM! But fine... I'll try turning it off again!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Can I get an Amen?? Can you hear me shouting all the way from SoCal? I couldn't agree MORE with all of your blogging tips. ESPECIALLY the "reply to your commenters" tip. You are GREAT about commenting AND replying. More so than ANY blogger out there, and I've always appreciated that. I've tried to take a page outta your book on that one...but I don't reply to every blog I read 'cause I don't always have something to say. But I do quite a bit of commenting, and I gotta say, hardly any of those bloggers reply to my comments, and I've had my feelings hurt on more than a few occasions. It's a total bummer when you've taken the time to read AND comment (which not many people ACTUALLY do) and you never hear anything back. After a few times of this, I stop commenting on their blog 'cause I feel like "Jeez, you don't care much do you?" I reply to every single comment for the reason you said: It's the polite thing to do, and the last thing I wanna be is rude.
    Thanks for always bein' polite to me. Ali! You've been a WONDERFUL bloggy friend to me this past year, and I totally appreciate our friendship. : )

    Ali
    Teaching Powered by Caffeine

    ReplyDelete
  12. What great blogging tips! Happy Blogiversary!! I'm so GLAD you did start blogging a year about because I've and so much fun reading your blog and getting to know you!
    Courtney
    Polka Dot Lesson Plans

    ReplyDelete
  13. I am so glad you began blogging a year ago! Happy blogging anniversary! I read your first blog and I was teary eyed the whole time. It is such a sweet thing to be able to spend time with those you love, and now look back on those happy times. Also love the great blogging tips!

    Bagby
    Get Your Science on in Room 701

    ReplyDelete
  14. Thank you for showing how to turn the Captcha off! It drives me crazy!!! I always miss it when it's letters. There have been many times I've wanted to just throw my computer. You just saved me!
    -Tracy
    4th Grade Dynamic Duo

    ReplyDelete
  15. Good tips girlfriend! I so agree with the check the "no reply box" because it makes me so sad when I can't reply back to someone I really want to!!

    -Maria

    ReplyDelete
  16. Happy Blogiversary! Ours is only days apart! You rock!!!
    -Lisa
    Grade 4 Buzz

    ReplyDelete
  17. Oh My Goodness.... I don't even know where to start!!! Happy Blogaversary!!! Ahhhh how exciting. I wish I knew so I could have celebrated with you! Your blog is amazing and you have inspired me so much in the short time that I've been blogging. I am so happy that we have met and I'm really looking forward to what the future holds! I love your tips that you've shared!!! You are amazing!!

    Ana
    Mrs. Bentin's Blackboard

    ReplyDelete
  18. Happy blogiversary! And seriously...thank you for this post! This should be required reading before starting a blog!
    ~Kristen
    Teaching Trio
    Chalk & Apples on TPT

    ReplyDelete
  19. WOW! I didn't realize you had only been blogging for a year! I thought you were one of the vets! LOL! Glad to be connected to you! This TBT post is great; you've included so many terrific tips, not only for new bloggers but for some of us oldies as well. Thanks for linking up with Throwback Thursday!

    Angela

    ReplyDelete
  20. Whoohoo! Congrats on your blog anniversary! I didn't realize you've only been at this for a year. We started up around the same time and I couldn't agree with you more on everything you said above! I've met some amazing people (you) and love all the sharing of ideas! Your tech tips are the best! I wish I could send everyone to this post because every one MUST READ IT!
    Chelsea
    Fifth Grade Wit and
    Whimsy

    ReplyDelete
  21. Happy blogiversary!!! How exciting that you have been at this for one year! I started in January and it's a tough but fun adventure!

    Also, I love your positive thinking quote!

    Meg
    TalesandTeacherisms

    ReplyDelete
  22. Happy blogiversary!!! I love reading your blog and love hearing from you!!!

    Elizabeth
    Hodges Herald

    ReplyDelete
  23. Great tips to help us new bloggers!! I may even ask you for some help ;) Happy 4th!!

    ReplyDelete
  24. Happy Blogiversary! You had me practically in tears reading your first blog post. What a special time that was with your Nitty...and that tree...Oh my! Thanks for all the fantastic blog tips. I have only been at this a few months and these are great tips! You said have a bite of cake for you...well I did one better for you..I had like half a pan of brownies in your honor...lol. Hormones!! So glad to call you my bloggin' buddy and congrats again! Luv ya!

    ~Laura
    Luv My Kinders

    ReplyDelete
  25. You are such an inspiration! GREAT tips, so well stated and explained. I appreciate how you reached out and befriended me! Happy blogiversary to you, and I ate some cake in honor of you! Nitty is proud of you. I am so proud of you! Can't wait to see all your pictures. Xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  26. I agree with everything you said!!! Those tips are perfect! Congratulations on one year of blogging. I have really enjoyed reading your blog! It's so much fun.

    Mary
    Fit to be Fourth

    ReplyDelete
  27. I'm so glad you did start this blog! It's a favorite of mine to visit! You've accomplished a lot in one year!! Thanks for your tips- they help less experienced bloggers (*cough*me*cough*) get the most of the blogging experience in general! Here's to you and many more years of sharing and inspiring other teachers!

    Kelli
    Tales of a Teacher

    ReplyDelete
  28. These are all great blogging tips, Alison! I especially agree with the "prove you're not a robot" thingy that comes up when I try to comment on some blogs. Seriously, I think the people at Blogger are sitting there laughing at some of the numbers they found that people have to enter -- I can't even read them! Happy blogiversary too! I'm going to make bacon for breakfast in your honor! :)

    xoxo
    Jennifer
    Mrs. Laffin's Laughings

    ReplyDelete
  29. Just so you know...I read this Thursday night and I tried to comment but my ipad wasn't working for me and I'm just now sitting down on my computer! Happy Blogiversary to you!! I'm so glad you started this fun blog because you got to "meet" me!! Your first post was so fun to read! And I know your Nitty would be so proud!! And I whole heartedly agree to all your blogging tips!
    Rachel
    A Tall Drink of Water

    ReplyDelete
  30. Happy Blogiversary to you! Happy Bligversary to you! Happy Blogiversary dear Alison! Happy Blogiversary to you! And many morrrrrrre! TAaaa-DAaaaa! Sorry this comment is a little late! We had a water pipe break in the house this week. Big Mess!!! I'm so blessed to have you as a BBF! Alison, not only are you Rockin' and Lovin' Learning, but you are Rockin' and Lovin' Blogin'! I'm so grateful that you stuck with it this past year! I raise my glass of grapes to you!

    Susan
    Passioninportableland

    ReplyDelete
  31. Happy one year!! Those are all great tips. Sometimes I don't even realize someone is a no-reply blogger when I email them back because it just lets me "send" an email response. I try to catch it, but it's hard when I'm on my phone.

    Don't Let The Teacher Stay Up Late

    ReplyDelete
  32. Happy Blog Birthday! I feel like you have been apart of my life way longer than one year so when I read this I couldn't believe it had only been a year. A pretty great year, just felt like I have known you forever...and now I have made this creepy. A out.

    ReplyDelete
  33. Who would've thought you've only been at this for a year?! You're awesome! I've had my blog for 2 years, and still feel new to the blogging world. Thanks for the tips.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Monica! I feel like I've learned so much, but I'm definitely still a newbie. :)

      Delete
  34. Happy Blogiversary! I'm so glad you started this blog, that I found your blog, and have actually meet you in person!

    Thanks for the tech tips. So true!

    ReplyDelete

I heart readin' your comments and replyin' to you. Please be sure to check to see that you aren't a "no-reply blogger" so I can comment to you via email. Happy readin'!