Tuesday, September 17, 2013

Tried it Tuesday...oops...I almost forgot a post title...almost!

Today I'm linkin' up with my buddy Holly from Fourth Grade Flipper for Tried It Tuesday.  I am just goin' to say I've been a very bad, bad blogger this past week.  I waited a whole FIVE days before readin' all the blogs that I follow on Bloglovin'.  You want to know why?  Because I read SIX books...that's right...SIX.  Want to know the best part?  They weren't for kids.  I needed a little break and it was well worth it, but I did miss you all.

Tried It #1:
Today I tried...ZUMBA!  I'm probably the most uncoordinated person on the face of the planet, but I tried it.  FIFTEEN SONGS worth.  No lie.  I guarantee I'm goin' to be hurtin' tomorrow.  I forgot my socks at home, so I'm one of those weird people that would rather suffer and do it without shoes than put my feet in my tennis shoes without socks.  This experience was definitely full of giggles from myself and my 
co-workers as I got lost on most of the moves.  I got to freestyle "officially" durin' some parts.  Ever seen a fish out of water, floppin' around?  Yeah...you don't even need pictures for that.  I'm sure your mental images are workin' just fine!

Tried It #2
Last year, my district officially asked us to take a course before doin' B.Y.O.D.(Bring Your Own Device) in our classrooms.  Oops...I had already been doin' it.  No problem-o.  I did the online course and found this in my teacher mailbox the other day. My students and I hung this up outside our door, so others could see it when they walked in. They are proud to be a B.Y.O.D. class.


This week my class started our exploration of the Solar System.  In keepin' with the B.Y.O.D. theme, I decided to have some S.T.E.M.(Science, Technology, Engineering, and Mathematics) integration in my lesson plans.  I found this cute quick activity online for FREE:  Planet Research Worksheet 
Students were allowed to use their devices(Technology) to research the distance from each planet, Length of time for one revolution around the Sun, Diameter of the planet, Temperature, and Number of Moons(Mathematics),  learnin' different facts about planets in our solar system(Science).  It was interestin' to see that some students chose to record the distance in kilometers and others used miles.  Some of them decided to estimate the distance. Some chose to work together to find the answers and others chose to do this solo.  Either way...lots of conversations were happenin' regardin' the planets and that makes me smile.  I actually had the students do this durin' math stations at the table with four laptops.

Some of my sweet precious darlin' babies are extremely wonderful about writin' their names and numbers and then highlightin' them. Others I'm still givin' reminders...even after one whole year and five weeks of school together. 

And that is where the "Have You" comes into play in our class.  
I have posted about this before here, but thought I'd bring it back.
There are 17 choices to choose from.  I chose 5 that will work specifically for my kiddos.
1. Have you checked to make sure you have written your name and number?
2. Have you highlighted your name and number? 

3. Have you used your best handwriting?
4. Have you checked all of your responses to make sure they are completed?
5. Have you asked a friend to check over your work?

These are my Finished & Unfinished hangin' files.  This is where I have my students turn in work and I walk by and grab it.  The students try to keep it organized for me.

I hope you go and check out everyone else's Tried It Tuesdays on Holly's blog.
Happy Tuesday!
P.S.  I've almost reached 200 followers on Bloglovin'...definitely cool!  Thank you sweet readers! 

10 comments :

  1. I tried Hip Hop Abs for a couple months... My teenage boys would get up early just to laugh at/with me. I have got to try zumba.
    Mrs. Brown Loves Bookworms

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh...I wonder if I would like Hip Hop Abs. I have an Xbox Kinect with dance games and never play them. No excuses...

      Delete
  2. Like the have you signs. I wish my kids could bring devices. It's only been me so far. :)

    Jessica
    Literacy Spark

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love that the kids can bring devices. It definitely helps with planning activities. I would love to be a pilot for a 1:1 class. I think that would be amazing!!!

      Delete
    2. I have yet to try Zumba. I would like to try a BYOD day to get started. Did you learn anything useful at the workshop.

      Delete
  3. Fifteen songs?!? Wow! That is a lot of moving and shaking going on there. I'm sure you are feeling that now! Reading six books? I could use that break too. Good for you focusing on physical and mental health! We do need to take care of ourselves every now and then. :)
    I love how organized you are with your students' work. You never cease to amaze me!!!
    ~Holly
    Fourth Grade Flipper

    ReplyDelete
  4. Zoomba----nope. My wife tries to get me to do it--nope. Bully for You!

    So what books were they? Are you reading all the George RR Martin Game of Thrones---because that would take you longer than a week.

    I love the Have You's!

    matt
    Digital: Divide & Conquer

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Is Game of Thrones educational? If so, then the answer is NOPE. I've been readin' steamy girly books. Yep, I'm turnin' my brain to MUSH and I'm okay with that! Lol! Tell your wife that I said you DEFINITELY need to get your Zumba on!!!!!!!!

      Delete
  5. I really want to do the BYOD course at some point this year.
    Lori
    Learning by the Seashore

    ReplyDelete

I heart readin' your comments and replyin' to you. Please be sure to check to see that you aren't a "no-reply blogger" so I can comment to you via email. Happy readin'!