Tuesday, September 24, 2013

Tried It Tuesday...Chocolate Covered Bacon and Cheese Burgers...

Today I'm linkin' up with my buddy Holly from Fourth Grade Flipper for Tried It Tuesday.  I'm just goin' to warn you now...this post might make you hungry!

Tried It #1:
My buddy, Miss Nelson, went on a day trip to Tallahassee on Sunday to go shoppin'.  I asked her to bring me back a surprise and she did.  Guess what though...she had already TRIED MY surprise before she gave it to me.  Yep, it happened, but I really don't blame her because I would have done the same thing. Technically, I only have half a "Tried It" for this.
Notice that opened package?

This is how much she left me with.  It was interestin' to say the least.  The bacon inside tasted more like bacon bits than actual strips of bacon.  I appreciate Miss Nelson thinkin' of me though...she's sweet like chocolate covered bacon!

Tried It #2:
This is where we always start out our Math lessons each day.  My kids are sprawled out in front of the SMARTboard.  This is where I do my whole group instruction before breakin' into small groups.  I have found that allowin' the kids to sit, lay, etc. provides a level of comfort for them when we are workin' on somethin' difficult.  As long as they are engaged, I learned long ago to give up that control of "eyes forward, sit up straight, etc." because they all learn differently.  Just because a child is not lookin' at me doesn't mean they aren't listenin' to what I have to say.   I can quickly look down and glance to see if they are with me.  I can also ask them to quickly turn to a partner to check their work or to help explain to someone in a different view if they are not graspin' what I am sayin' right away.  This might not work for everyone, but it works for myself and my lil' rockstars.

The kids then move into five small(flexible) groups.  Here the students are workin' on extra practice with long division.  One student at the group is an expert and will answer any questions the students might have if I'm busy with another student.  The students volunteer for this position, so as to not interfere with their own group or individual work.  These roles change often.

Knee to knee partners checkin' over each other's completed work usin' my tried it...CHEESE BURGERS!

This summer, I ran across Kaylynn's posts from A Teacher Without a Class about "Does McDonald's Serve Cheese Burgers?" cards.  Kaylynn designed these cards to help with long division.  You can check out the pin on Pinterest.  By the time I got to Target's Dollar bins, all the cute little cheeseburger containers were gone, so Kaylynn designed one for you to make out of paper.  I must say the cheese burger cards really help my kids to go through the steps of long division.  I'll take anything that will make division a little easier on them.  




I hope y'all are havin' a happy Tuesday.  Be sure to head over to Holly's blog to check out the other Tried Its.

23 comments :

  1. I love the McDonald's saying to remember the steps for long division! I get our local McDonald's to donate a class set of cheeseburgers every year! You should ask yours-they'll give them to a sweet teacher like you! And, then you'll be the biggest hero with your students! :O) I think you're brave to let them sprawl out all over the floor-I'm feeling a little dangerous myself...maybe I['ll try it with my math lesson tomorrow! I'll let you know how it goes!
    Joanne
    Head Over Heels For Teaching

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I will have to check that out with McDonald's. I know in the past they used to do Happy Meals for the kids for $1 if it was for the school. You should definitely try the sprawling out thing. I started doing it when we got Go Math a few years back because the kids were having heart palpitations with the new series. It was just easier for them to be as close as possible to me when we were doing whole group. It might take a little getting used to, but I love doing it. For sure let me know!

      Delete
  2. I'm teaching long division soon so I'm pinning this post! Thanks for sharing!

    Kristin
    iTeach 1:1

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think it has really helped those kids that aren't quite confident just yet with the whole long division thing, Kristin. I had one kid that was struggling yesterday tell me today that she thought division was actually fun now that she gets it.

      Delete
  3. Chocolate covered bacon, I am in. Must get some like now!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'll have you know that when I took my first bite I was totally thinking of you. I knew you would love this post!

      Delete
  4. I have never seen chocolate covered bacon candy bars, but I have had real fried bacon drizzled with chocolate at a fondue party. It was delish and the first thing to go! I would love to have a few pieces right about now...LOL! Love the cheeseburger idea too....how fun!

    Blessings, Vicky
    Keep Calm and Imagine

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lol, Vicky! If you were just a teeny bit closer I would so give you some of my chocolate covered bacon. You need to come to the Panhandle!!!

      Delete
  5. That chocolate is so good. I love the bacon one. there is also another kind that puts beef jerky pieces in it---so good too. Now I'm going to have to go to World Market and by one ...thanks

    matt
    Digital: Divide & Conquer

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Beef jerky pieces? Now I'M going to have to go to World Market to scope that out. Good thing it's across the bridge, in town, and 11:17 at night or I'd already be there!

      Delete
  6. Your story of the candy bar is hilarious! I would have done the same thing as Miss Nelson:) Haha!

    I love the pic of your kids sprawled out on the floor. I am slowly giving up that control too and students do Daily 5 in just about any position unless I notice it is distracting them (like yesterday someone was squeezed under a counter and could only focus on their body and how small they could make it so that had to be corrected).

    I use that same saying for long division too (not teaching math this year though-sad face) and another popular one over the years has been Dirty Monkeys Smell Cheesy Bad! Lol. The kids like coming up with gross ones. :) Thanks for linking up, friend!
    ~Holly
    Fourth Grade Flipper

    ReplyDelete
  7. Ummm I'll buy you another one. I'm so sorry. I couldn't resist. HAHA

    ReplyDelete
  8. Now I am hitting Notify ME .. this is a test.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Looks like a fun math activity. And sounds like a really crazy chocolate bar. Bacon makes everything better, right?

    School Is a Happy Place

    ReplyDelete
  10. Well explained article, loved to read this blog post and bookmarking this blog for future.Cultist Simulator Mods

    ReplyDelete
  11. Perfect blog to read in free time to gain knowladge.Best VPN for PC

    ReplyDelete
  12. Very good info. Lucky me I discovered your site by chance (stumbleupon). I have saved it for later! Here is my web site:How to kiss

    ReplyDelete

I heart readin' your comments and replyin' to you. Please be sure to check to see that you aren't a "no-reply blogger" so I can comment to you via email. Happy readin'!