Tuesday, February 18, 2014

Geometry and mascara...Tried it Tuesday

It's time for Tried it Tuesday.
I'm linkin' up with my sweet buddy Holly from Fourth Grade Flipper.
Holly is off at Disney havin' fun...can you say, "Jealous?"


Tried it Awesomeness #1: Geometry
I do not like Geometry.
There...I said it.
I failed Geometry in high school...no lie.
I had to take it TWICE.
Talk about humiliatin'.
The ONLY way I could pass Geometry was with help of friends.
Today's lesson in Math was...you guessed it...Geometry.
This year we are still bein' tested on Florida's
Next Generation Sunshine State Standards,
BUT...
our Math books have been switched to 
wait for it...
COMMON CORE.

What this means is we are doin' a blended curriculum.
I am able to access the teacher's and students' books
for the old standards to project on the SMARTboard,
but we can't do any of the practice from the lessons on paper
because it prints out awkward.
So, I do the lessons whole group and we work with friends 
on a few of the problems and move into other things.

If you've been here for a lil' bit readin' my blog, 
you know my kids are all over the place...all the time.
I like to switch partners and groups durin' just about
every activity we do.
Today we partnered up boy-girl.
This happened in about ten seconds flat.
Boys got a sheet of paper.
Girls got the protractor and 
off they went.

I tried to love Geometry today for my babies.

I projected the problem on the SMARTboard.

They worked together to draw a ray.

Then they had to draw a triangle with a measure of 62 degrees.

They had to work together to get the correct answer.

Then the boys had to share their answers with me and then 
switch girl partners to agree or disagree with
their answers and figure out what they did wrong if
they didn't get the right answer.

Geometry is not so bad when you have someone
to share it with.

Tried it Awesomeness #2: blinc mascara
I have tried every mascara ever invented.
No matter what kind of make-up cleanser I use,
I still end up with black circles under my eyes.
Until now...
My pod bestie, JR, introduced me to some mascara awesomeness
last week and I got on Amazon and ordered it immediately.
*Neither one of us is affiliated with this company, nor 
have we gotten any product for free or discounted.

"blinc is the original mascara invented to form tiny water resistant
"tubes" around your lashes that add volume and length
and cannot run, smudge, clump or flake, even if you cry
or rub your eyes.
Only when you are ready, a combination of lots of warm water
and gentle pressure, from your fingertips or cloth
will slide the tubes effortlessly into your hand.
No makeup remover required."

This stuff WORKS!
I haven't tried it yet with eye liner, but 
I've been wearin' this mascara for the past three days
and I don't have ANY black makeup left under my eyes.
LOVE!
I didn't mind spendin' $20 when I think about the
amount of money I am savin' on make-up remover.

Happy Tuesday friends!
Be on the lookout for my review of Jamberry nails
comin' very soon.

16 comments :

  1. Not really a makeup user because of the havoc it brings to my ultra sensitive skin -- but holy mascara batman that stuff looks cool!!! I think I could wear that, because it wouldn't wear off and irritate my eyes! Found you at the link up -- Cute Blog :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have only recently started wearing mascara, but I am loving the sounds of this! I'll have to check it out!

    Jenny
    Suntans and Lesson Plans

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh Man! I need me some blinc! Volume and length, yes please! Can't wait for your Jamberry review!
    Veronica
    Teaching with Giggles

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This stuff has both. I'm really digging it, Veronica!

      Delete
  4. I have to say- your titles of your posts always pull me right in- I love your creativity! Great work tackling geometry- your kids' smiles show that they obviously had a good time! :)
    Aylin
    Learning to the Core

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm so intrigued with these "tubes" of mascara that coat each eye lash. And the fact that they slide off when you wash your face? Do they literally look like tiny tubes in your hand? Kinda freaky, kinda awesome!

    You really are my hero when it comes to teaching. I need to take a page from your book when it comes to partnering up, moving around. That goes against my very nature of calm and quiet in the classroom, YET, I'm more than 100% positive that your way of teaching is waaaaaay more effective and engaging. Perhaps you can help me let go of this.

    Ali
    Teaching Powered by Caffeine

    ReplyDelete
  6. I want to try this mascara! Also... the best makeup remover ever? Coconut oil! I know... I know... you probably saw that one coming from me! haha

    ReplyDelete
  7. Working with two curriculums and no student pages - sounds like a dream come true : )
    I am not sure you sold me on the mascara - it was the tiny tubes! My daughter just bought her first tube of mascara - ugh!! I too am excited for your Jamberry review - I notice your nails are naked in the pic!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. You did a great job teaching geometry! Way to go! I want to see a pic of your lashes with this cool stuff. I might just have to try it. My rpoblem is I have long lashes and they flake with mascara. Can't wait for your Jamberry review!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I have yet to find a mascara that I love - this I will have to try! Wondering the same thing as someone above...do the tubes look like...well...tubes when you take it off?!

    Kate :)
    McDee's Busy Bees

    ReplyDelete
  10. Geometry and mascara? You always have the most intriguing titles! When I taught math, partner work was a must with teaching angles. I have to say that geometry is one of my favorite math concepts! In high school it was called "Course II" and I scored the highest on that Regents. I especially loved the logic problems. :)
    That mascara sounds so cool! Little tubes? I need to see a picture of you wearing it. Can you apply it and hold the camera really close to your eye? :D Jamberry nails...keep hearing about those but not really sure what that is all about either (I'm so behind the times!). Looking forward to that post too!!!
    ~Holly
    Fourth Grade Flipper

    ReplyDelete
  11. When I first read your title I thought you were doing geometry WITH mascara...you hook me in every time!! :) Love that you are always switching partners I feel my kids definitely need that too! Hopefully they got it so you don't have to spend too much more time on geometry! PS just added the mascara to my amazon cart and will get it with my next amazon order...I got a cheaper mascara last time I went to the store and have been dealing with the black circles under my eyes too!!! Thanks for the suggestion! :)

    Amanda
    Learning to the Core

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lol...everyone probably thought..."Hey...I want to learn how to do Geometry with mascara!" I think you are going to like the blinc, Amanda! I'm just amazed that I haven't had to use any eye makeup remover yet. xo

      Delete
  12. 1. I'm a make-up junkie and now feel like I need to own Blinc. So...thanks for that!
    2. I actually LOVE Geometry, that is my math of choice!
    3. I'm EXTREMELY jealous that your school has a Common Core math program. We've been told to teach Common Core math for the past 3 years now with our extremely outdated books and no other supplemental materials aside from the 'internet'. UGH!

    Erin
    Short and Sassy Teacher

    ReplyDelete

I heart readin' your comments and replyin' to you. Please be sure to check to see that you aren't a "no-reply blogger" so I can comment to you via email. Happy readin'!