Wednesday, November 13, 2013

The Hour of Code is coming....

The Hour of Code

I got an email from Donors Choose at the end of October titled "The Hour of Code is coming".  I quickly read through it and then saved it in my inbox.  Several days later, my Admin said we needed to watch a short video about "The Hour of Code" that our District wanted us to watch.  The next day our mornin' announcements had a video that had music and the words "The Hour of Code is coming in 32 days".  The kids were all askin'...."What is the Hour of Code?"  BOOM...it was everywhere!
So, I got onto Computer Science Education Week's website with the help of my pod bestie, J.R., to find a short video to entice the kids even more.

So...what does this even mean you might be askin'...
  
Basically, durin' the week of December 9th-15th, we will spend at least one hour writin' code in our classroom.   My students and I will choose from a variety of one hour tutorials in order to participate.  I've read that no prior experience seems to be needed and it states that computers are optional.
Read here to find out more about the Hour of Code.
Here are some more places to find info:
Code.org
(sign up on Code.org to get a coupon for 10GB storage on Dropbox for
organizin' an Hour of Code in your classroom)
Gettingsmart
Scratch
(Accordin' to the tech genius in my class...this is the BEST site ever for kids to program their own games and animations.  I truly value his opinion.  He has gotten several of my kids hooked on this site.)
Code Academy
Khan Academy-Computer programming
CodeHS
10 places where anyone can learn to code
Hopscotch

I'm definitely intrigued and will be doin' some more research on the Hour of Code to pick out exactly what we will be doin' durin' the week of December 9th-15th.

Is anyone else participatin' in this?


10 comments :

  1. I've never heard of this before but just signed up. Thanks for sharing. I love the idea and I know my kiddos would love it too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ok, I'm super excited about this! I just signed up! Thank you for sharing!

    Rissa
    Keep Calm and Hoot On

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am so surprised by how many folks that don't know about this. I didn't until your post. My instructional technology person from the district didn't even know anything about it...said he was not familiar.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is SO intriguing! I had not heard about this, so thank you for sharing. Also, I happened to notice the comment you left on the I Heart Recess blog about Wonder being your favorite book ever...you and Jess have piqued my interest! In fact, I just went to the library and checked it out! Thanks!
    ~Deb
    Crafting Connections

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Deb, I hope you enjoy it as much as I did. There are just so many amazing things about this book!!!

      Delete
  5. Thank you for sharing! I already do HTML coding and Scratch but I am definitely going to be doing this with all of my other non-web design students that week.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm soooo proud of you Rosie! We are very excited about this too... so great that you are spreading the word!! Just wait until you see what 2nd grade is Rockin' on Scratch! xoxo J.R.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Can't wait to see what our 2nd grade friends come up with! We will have to have a pod sharing day! XOX

    ReplyDelete
  8. I had never heard about this...just signed up! Thanks for sharing this with us!
    Veronica
    Teaching with Giggles

    ReplyDelete
  9. I just signed up for this!! Thanks for sharing!
    A Tall Drink of Water

    ReplyDelete

I heart readin' your comments and replyin' to you. Please be sure to check to see that you aren't a "no-reply blogger" so I can comment to you via email. Happy readin'!